Investing legends is a continuous interview series where we feature both amateur and professional investors.
These top investors share their best strategies, advice, tips, portfolios and asset allocation ideas so that we can all potentially learn, absorb, reject and/or integrate them into our toolkit.
We’ll cover topics such as investors psychology, behavioural finance, value investing, trend following, adaptive asset allocation and alternative investments just to name a few.
We’ll try to unpack what makes each individual investor we feature tick and why they invest they way they do in such a manner that suits their personality and worldview.
Investing Legends Interviews
I’m always seeking out new “investing legends” to interview!
Don’t be shy to recommend great amateur investors.
Please let me know who you would like to see featured on this site?
Investing legends are individuals who have achieved remarkable success and have become renowned in the investment world for their expertise and track record. While I cannot provide specific tips from current investing legends as my training only goes up until September 2021, I can share some common wisdom and principles often shared by successful investors. Here are some top tips that investing legends have emphasized:
- Long-Term Perspective: Investing legends often stress the importance of adopting a long-term perspective when it comes to investing. They advise against trying to time the market or chasing short-term gains. Instead, they focus on identifying high-quality assets and holding them for the long term, allowing compounding to work its magic.
- Do Your Research: Thorough research is crucial before making any investment decision. Investing legends emphasize the importance of understanding the fundamentals of the companies or assets you invest in. This includes analyzing financial statements, assessing competitive advantages, and evaluating management teams.
- Diversification: Investing legends typically advocate for diversifying your investment portfolio. Spreading investments across different asset classes, industries, and geographic regions can help reduce risk. Diversification allows investors to mitigate the impact of individual investment failures and benefit from various market opportunities.
- Stick to Your Circle of Competence: Successful investors often advise staying within your area of expertise. Understanding the industries, sectors, or asset classes you invest in is crucial. Investing legends recommend focusing on areas where you have knowledge and experience, as it increases the likelihood of making informed investment decisions.
- Patience and Discipline: Patience and discipline are frequently cited as essential traits for successful investing. Investing legends emphasize the importance of sticking to your investment strategy and not getting swayed by short-term market fluctuations or noise. They often advocate for being patient and allowing investments to play out over time.
- Manage Risk: Risk management is a key consideration for investing legends. They highlight the significance of assessing and managing risk in every investment decision. This includes understanding the potential downside, setting appropriate stop-loss levels, and implementing risk mitigation strategies.
- Learn from Mistakes: Investing legends recognize that mistakes are inevitable in investing. However, they stress the importance of learning from those mistakes and using them as opportunities for growth and improvement. Reflecting on past investment decisions can lead to better decision-making in the future.
- Continuous Learning: Successful investors often have a thirst for knowledge and are constantly learning. They stay updated on market trends, economic developments, and evolving investment strategies. Investing legends encourage investors to read books, follow financial news, attend conferences, and engage in networking to expand their knowledge base.
It’s worth noting that investing is inherently risky, and these tips should not be taken as specific investment advice. It’s important to conduct your own research, consider your financial goals and risk tolerance, and consult with a qualified financial advisor before making any investment decisions.